Monday 7 May 2012

Hood Build - Week 29/34


Part 2 -
I've spent all week after work and this long weekend to finish the second planking..to say I'm relived is an understatement, I'll spent some time carefully sanding and shaping the hull over the next few days. Part 1 of the planking was on the starboard side, I'll now continue on the port side of the hull. I've approached this in a different way from the magazine and I personally think its the better way. I was working up till 10pm last night so the picture came out a little yellow, so I've adjusted them in Photoshop, that's why they look a little washed out.

Also a new graphic for each week (trying to keep things fresh) showing a percentage bar and figure in % of where we are on the build. The figure is based on a percentage of 140 (Issues) and the bar may not be totally accurate, it's only for a quick visual guide to the progress of my build/Issues.




Finishing off the starboard side planking, this part is a little difficult but taking your time reaps rewards.


Notice how I've stepped the planks at the bow, I'll come back to that when the port side has reached the same point.

Starting the port side planking, a little different from the other side and not in line with the magazine, I'll be planking one length at a time, so starting from just below the lip, carefully pulling the stern planks around a little...in fact I soaked this plank to help bend it around the stern.



After a weeks planking (a few hours after work) bevelling each plank and sanding to fit before gluing into place, small nails just to hold while the glue (Aliphatic) dries. A light sand once it's dry also helps later with the final sanding.

The stern area a little closer, yes there is some work to do but I'm happy with the result so far.

The stern planking getting closer to joining up with the starboard side.

Meeting up at the bow, again I've stepped the planks to match.


Close up of the stern after cutting away the single plank I laid up against the ply, this was to give me a nice clean line to help shape the stern. I've cut away these planks to allow the next layer on both side now to butt up cleanly (see small picture)

Now that port side has matched the starboard side planking I intend to plank one side at a time until it meets.

Bow area planking.

Work on the stern, glue spread with the finger, plank laid and pulled inwards towards the previous plank, nails tapped into hold until dried....next plank!

A close up of how I'm planking, this is the bow but the stern is exactly the same.

After I was happy that both starboard and port have reached a certain point it's time to find a centre line and lay a single plank.

Once the single plank has been glued add another one either side (port & starboard) and progress backwards or forwards, cutting each plank to match the area needed to be covered.

 Bow planking, centre plank plus one either side.


Nearing the end, this is a great point to get to, an achievement, it's well worth taking your time to get here. I'm slowly filling the last planks. When you fit the last plank you may find a small slither of a gap, all I did was to fill it with glue and sand some scrap wood over the top to fill it in.

I took this picture last night so its not in natural light, it's also unsanded, as soon as I can I'll be taking it outside and hoping for 'favourable winds' to carefully sand.

Well that's it for the bulk of the hull construction, I'm not sure where we go from here regarding the bow resin part or the bow and stern porthole section that are still needed to be built up...I will getting some Auto Body filler from Halfords to use for any gaps that may appear during sanding, I have a procedure in mind regarding the hull but will wait until further on in the build.

Any updates I have after sanding the hull I'll add to the next Issue..Issue 35

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for the idea: single plank as a center line; you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Colin,
    Some very good pics, really fine detail and pretty nifty trimming ! I think you may have done this type of thing before LOL, if you don't mind me asking what size nails / pins do you use ?
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim, no..this is my first Battleship (Battlecruiser) but the procedure is the same as the sail ships. I've just measured the nail and they are 10mm, I got them over the HMS Victory collection but never used them so I have a store of 'em.
    I'm sure you could pick them up pretty much anywhere..oh and also remember to drill a pilot hole first before banging 'em in..otherwise you'll split the wood.
    all the best
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. im using panel pins from b n q , they work realy well , thanks for all the tips ive been following you from the start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin,
      Thanks again for your advice, Louis made me smile ! I worked for B&Q for 17
      Years you would think I should know LOL.
      I was thinking about veneer pins but I’ll look into that, what size drill bit do You use for the pilot hole ?
      Keep up the sterling work.
      Kim.

      Delete
    2. Hi Louis,
      Hows you build going ?
      MOB (man over board) Kim.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim & Louis, thanks for your support fellas, I have used for some years now the smaller drill bits known as MICRO HSS TWIST DRILL BIT SET along with an archimedean drill. It really depends on what size your nail/pins are to what size you would drill the hole...the bigger the hole the less it will hold the plank..the smaller the hole the more chance of the plank splitting when you tack the nail in. Practice on a scrap of wood. Hope that helps Kim.

    just found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expo-31090-7mm-Brass-Ship-Modelling-Pins-Apx-200-New-Pack-/170784225918#ht_2084wt_905
    This is what Im using and they are perfect...you wont loose any as the pins come out as soon as you think the plank has dried enough..so no wastage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Colin,
    Thanks once again for the advice, common sense really ! Someone once said to me “ the thing with common sense is that it’s no so common” LOL.

    Good old Archimedes, if you sit and think where would we be without His principle of the screw ? It doesn’t bare thinking about, thanks for the link
    I’ll check it out.
    Catch you later.
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. im getting there slowly , taking my time , never built any thing like this , i've finished the 1st layer of planking & a light sanding & im quite pleased with the results , its not perfect but hopefully the 2nd layer should cover small mistakes on bottom layer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Louis,
    Thanks for your reply, have you had any problems with getting all the copies of your part works ?
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Colin,
    Sorry but it’s me again, I today picked up part work No 35 and at last there’s something other than planking ! some top deck embellishments which are(I assume) copper or brass, my problem is they have not survived the transit journey very well they are bent and pitted, do you have any magical tricks to put them right ?
    Also did you ever get the part work you did not receive ? I’m still waiting for issue 22 and I’m getting somewhat cross to say the least.
    Catch you later.
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kim , just recieved my latest 4 issues , im now up to issue 33 so a few weeks behind you guys , my newsagent stopped getting them in so had to go to Hachette for them , they seem to arrive every 4 weeks , so heres hoping they keep coming
    , hows your ship coming along
    Louis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Louis,
    Thanks for your reply, I have not started my build yet I've just moved house so things are a bit heck it, but doing loads of research and picking hits and tips and getting the right tools ect for the job.
    If you have any tips I would love to know them !
    BFN Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Colin,
    Sorry but it just occurred to me that I'm chatting on your site.
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please don't worry about chatting on this blog, that's what its there for, I will be updating very soon the latest Issues concerning the P/E.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first time building a model ship. My planking has some small gaps, what would you suggest to over come this. Could i use some sort of filler then sand?

    Thanks Mike

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mike, are you on the first or the second layer, if its the first then don't worry about gaps, the second will hide them, if its the second then some type of filler yes. Once dried then sand smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi guys. Just found this blog. Wonderful stuff. I've been going it alone now with my build, never thought to look on the net......I'm a little behind you guys and have come across a snag. All my own fault, school boy error. I have taken all of the planking out of the bags with the books in and now I have no idea which bundle goes with which issue. Thought they were all the same size.....Doh!!!!....does anyone know how I can sort them into their correct issues. The instructions don't seem to cater for cretins like me. Though to be honest i've never built anything like this before. Any help would be great fully received.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shiro, thanks for your comments, glad you found this blog, hopefully it can help you..your problem?...not a problem, have a look on the inside where it shows you what parts are supplied, they will show the wood along with a measurement, gather all the wood strips with the same measurement to each issue and your problems are solved mate. The first planking will be the thicker, second thinner.
      cheers
      Colin

      Delete
    2. Thanks for getting back so quickly. Your site will be top of my favorites list for a very long time. I did look at each of the parts supplied sections. The first 3 issues just say 20x Planking piece. (22, 23 and 24) then issues 25, 26 and 27 mention 200mm strips. Issues 29 through 34 do mention 1x5x248. In your last sentance you mention the first planking being the thicker. So I have used that nice bit of knowledge to lay out my bundles. But I now have the 200mm bundles being my first 3 issues (22, 23 and 24) though it mentions this size planking in issues 25, 26 and 27......Oh my....this is confusing me....lol....I've started to do this project to help recover from my stroke.....but I think it's going to give me another one....lol. this is the one part of the project that frightens me the most. Many thanks for your help.

      Delete